Sunday 21 March 2010

The Wrekin and The Ercall

Time: 1 hour, 54 minutes
Distance: 8.42 km (5.23 mi)
Average Speed: 4.4 km/h (2.75 mph)
Time to top: 30 minutes, 7 seconds
Total ascent: 340 m

A proper spring day this morning. I started off wearing my waterproof but was carrying it once I got past the tea shop.

I got to the car park north of the Wrekin just in time to get one of the last two places. Once I got the boots on I set the stopwatch on my watch going and headed for the trig point at the top. I reached it in 30 minutes and 7 seconds, which is my best time since April 2008 and the second best time I have recorded.

After a short breather at the top and a good look around (good visibility in all directions), I headed south to descend the other side, then came around the west to head up the Ercall for an encore. I was walking around the base when I almost stepped on a frog. Looking around I saw about a half-dozen more frogs on the path. Then in a nearby pool I spotted why they were there, a large mass of frog spawn..

A quick trip to the top of the Ercall then back to the car, mentioning the frogs on the way to a chap walking his dog. Huge numbers of cars back at the car park and along the access roads, there was one bloke lurking there with his engine idling waiting for a spot, so I let him have mine.

Next weekend I've got the first 20 mile walk scheduled. That means I've now got less than 7 weeks until the Keswick to Barrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment