Thursday 4 March 2010

New Toy

As threatened, I bought a GPS earlier this week. It's a Memory Map Adventurer 2800, from Stafford Outdoor Leisure who stock that or a Garmin unit as the two they'd recommend.

I'm still getting used to it but it seems to work nicely. You get a full UK 1:250k map, plus the national parks at 1:50k and you can download up to 10,000km2 of the 1:50k free. After that you have to pay.

The two problems I've found so far are it only has an 8 hour battery life (and I've got a 9 hour and a 12 hour walk planned) and the client software runs under windows. To solve the first I need some sort of on-the-move USB charger. The second was solved by wine. That's wine the software, not wine the rather nice red alcoholic drink.

A proper road test along the canals tomorrow, then for Sunday I think it'll be the Roaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment