Wednesday 18 April 2012

Macclesfield Forest and Shutlingsloe

Easter Sunday
Distance: 13 km (8.08 mi)
Time: 3 hours 20
Average speed: 3.9 km/h (2.42 mph)

A typical British Easter Day: daffodils, drizzle and the occasional snow drift lying. The narrow track up to Forest Chapel still had deep snow in it, my foot broke the crust on top and my leg went in up to the ankle.

Above Forest Chapel I was in cloud. A brief respite around the reservoir then back into cloud heading for the top of Shutlingsloe. Out of the forest and crossing on the flagstones I was contemplating missing the peak when I saw somebody who made me look almost sane: a hill runner in very short shorts and bright red knees. I was so glad it wasn't me I was on the path heading for the top long before I realize I'd missed the chance to avoid it.

From the top of Shutlingsloe I could see the trig point, the rocks around it, and nothing else. It was quite tricky picking my way down without sliding around and required descending one bit on my bum.

No comments:

Post a Comment