Wednesday 18 April 2012

The Long Mynd


Saturday 14th April
Distance: 31.8 km (19.76 mi)
Time: 7 hours 52
Average speed: 4.04 km/h (2.51 mph)

This was the second 20 mile training walk (call me a liar for 0.24 of a mile), the one with steep ascents. The first ascent was from Church Stretton (192 m above sea level) via the Cardingmill valley up to the trig point at Pole Bank (515 m by my GPS).

The weather was dry, overcast and cold. The wind encouraged me to keep my jumper on, but there was no need for my waterproof.

From Pole Bank I headed south past the gliding club and stopped at the edge of the forest to have my lunch. There was a sheep in a hollow that stared at me as I ate my two buns and a banana, never moving. I became convinced it had got stuck somehow so I went for a closer look. It moved then but still held its ground, then I saw the tiny head just beside it so I left them alone.

Changing the usual route I headed east and followed a stream to near Churchmoor Hall. I thought it was a path, and so did somebody else by the footprints, but it was just a sheep track and I had to make diversions around hawthorns. Back on the actual path I headed south-west to Plowden, a mere 200m above sea level before climbing back up to the plateau on the Long Mynd at 440m.

Heading back towards the gliding club I again saw Crouching Ewe Hidden Lamb who had left the hollow and were grazing nearby. The final stretch at height was via Cross Dyke before heading down to Little Stretton, a steep descent, and then a nice flat stroll back to the car in Church Stretton.

A good practice walk, not too fast. I had stiff legs and only proto-blisters on the feet. The next big walk is pencilled in on the 28th, a 30 mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment