Friday 12 February 2010

Along the tow path

Rugeley to Stafford
Pedometer says: 13.62 miles, 3 hours 48 minutes
Average speed: 3.5 mph
Soundtrack (chosen by iPod): Sgt. Pepper, Frances the Mute, Hoochie Coochie Man and Best of Jethro Tull.

A cold day, with some ice still floating in the canals. I got wet in a downpour going through Rugeley but thankfully that only lasted about 10 minutes. Apart from a bit of drizzle around Wolseley Bridge it was otherwise dry. Parts of the tow path, especially the Staffs & Worcester, had a layer of mud over a hard surface leading to much slipping and sliding.

A couple of barges were moving, most were tied up. Just one dedicated angler to be seen, hiding under his umbrella in the downpour.

Plenty of ducks and drakes around the canal. Flocks of geese standing around in the fields. I saw one large bird, possibly a kestrel, but it got out of my way pretty quickly. Too quick for a photo, and as I didn't have my real camera just the crappy camera on my phone it wouldn't have been worth it.

An easy day tomorrow, then the Wrekin on Sunday I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment