Monday 2 May 2011

Friday: Three Shire Head, Axe Edge Moor and Shining Tor


Distance: 15.6 km (9.69 mi)
Time: 3 hours 28
Average speed: 4.5 km/h (2.8 mph)

I had always planned to be up a hillside somewhere on the 29th, but only decided exactly where the night before. This was the first real walk since the Saturday before, even though I'd had the entire week off. I'd collected two nasty blisters, one on each heel, and had been waiting for feet that were less sore.

When I parked at the Cat and Fiddle it was clear the weather was going to be very clear, possibly very warm but certainly very windy. I set off wearing the waterproof jacket for its windproof qualities. Apart from a couple of cyclists who were packing up at 0930, I didn't see anyone (outside a car) until I reached Three Shire Head. By that time, being down in the valley I'd shed the jacket.

The next person I met was actually working, he appeared to be repairing the path near Orchard Farm and had managed to block it with his lorry and digger. He let me pass, though I had to step over a large hole on the edge of a drop.

Near the top of Axe Edge Moor I was back in the full force of the wind, but I was keeping the jacket off because, nearing 11 am, things were getting much warmer. At the top, sheltering in the ruin were an old couple who remarked that I obviously hadn't any interest in the wedding either.

Now I started to bump into many more people, mainly cyclists. None were listening to radios.

Back at the Cat and Fiddle, still having energy and with untroubled feet I decided to push onwards and went up Shining Tor. It would have been a beautiful view, particularly with that clear blue sky, but there was a haze all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment