Sunday 13 March 2011

Catching up

25th February - Canals again
Distance: 20.9 km (12.99 mi)
Time: 3 hours 49
Average speed: 5.48 km/h (3.4 mph)

This was the exact same route as earlier in the month, although the GPS reckoned it was 100 m shorter. A minute longer, which I can attribute to crossing roads in Stafford. The weather was kinder, less wind.

6th March - The Roaches
Distance: 13.8 km (8.58 mi)
Time: 3 hours 35
Average speed: 3.85 km/h (2.39 mph)

The first trip of the year to the Peak District and as usual it was to the Roaches, just north of Leek. A cold day with ice in the puddles. Only a couple of weeks earlier it had been much milder in the mornings.

12th March - Gnosall
Distance: 22.6 km (14.04 mi)
Time: 4 hours 4
Average speed: 5.56 km/h (3.45 mph)

A new route for me, for this one I followed the old railway line west out of Stafford as far as Gnosall. As it was flat and a proper path I tried an experiment and wore walking shoes rather than boots. The K2B is almost entirely roads and suits lighter footwear, but I do my training on rougher terrain wearing my boots and when it comes to doing the actual walk I prefer to use the same footwear I trained with.

The shoes were a cheap pair I'd got for everyday use, so I need to factor that I when considering the results (1 blister on the sole, could feel most of the stones on the path). No decision yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment