Sunday 5 December 2010

Icy Cannock Chase

Distance: 6.63 km (4.12 mi)
Time: 1 hour 31
Average Speed: 4.37 km/h (2.72 mph)

Mid November I came down with the lurgi and spend two weeks at home trying to stay warm. Now that I've recovered I ventured out onto Cannock Chase this morning but didn't stay long. It wasn't that I was still ill, out of condition (just a bit) or that it was too cold. It was the lack of grip.

There's a weeks worth of snow frozen solid with a light layer of loose snow on top. Combine that with a temperature hovering around freezing and you have to be very sure of your footing. I kept to the edge of the paths, the ice rink in the centre was just too risky.

So just a short loop. From Chase Road Corner to Coppice Hill, then down the old Tackeroo line and around Brocton Coppice to the stepping stones. From there the picturesque walk up the Sherbrook Valley to the place where the path kinks away from the Sherbrook where I took the direct route back to the car. Chilly, but a lovely clear sky.

1 comment:

  1. I remember a few of those 'ice rink' days on the Chase last winter.

    Time to invest in some Yaktrax or similar? Available from all sorts of places for around £12-£15 just now.

    ReplyDelete