Monday 31 May 2010

Sunday: Shining Tor and the Goyt Valley

Guide book says: 6.5 mi, 10.5 km
GPS says: 10.8 km (6.7 mi)
Time: 2 hours 25
Average speed: 4.47 km/h (2.78 mph)

The previous two weekends I'd just had short walks on the Chase. Exceedingly short the first weekend after the K2B, a little longer the week after. This weekend I'd decided to head up into the Peak District and after a little dithering decided on the Shining Tor walk.

I set out from Pym Chair at 0925. About the same time another dozen or so people also set out, but they were all heading north. There was only me heading up to Cat Tor, and I didn't see another person until I reached the top of Shining Tor. I think I can guess the reason: although the weather had improved since Saturday (no rain, some sunshine) the wind was certainly blowing hard. Fortunately it was coming from the west, so after coming down from the top of Shining Tor I was in the lee.

Other than the ridge near Stake farm, I remained in the lee all the way down to the Goyt valley. It seemed pretty deserted for a Bank Holiday weekend, although there were plenty of cars parked around. I guess they were all wandering around near the reservoir and other than a few hardy souls they weren't venturing up where the wind was blowing.

I'd spotted Jodrell Bank when I'd started up Cat Tor, but when I reached my car again I saw they'd realigned the dish. I got the binoculars out, but they'd finished moving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment